9/30/09

Catching Up with Peter Carpenter (part 1)

Peter Carpenter and Donnell Williams rehearsing My Fellow Americans

Photo by Cheryl Mann.  


By karen Krolak

If you happen to be in Chicago this fall, please live vicariously for me. October is just jammed with fabulous dance performances by artists I adore. Be sure to start the month of at Peter Carpenter's My Fellow Americans.

Peter Carpenter fuses political activism with intensely physical poetry. Images from his earliest works, such as When I Say I'm Queer Does It Frighten You?, still leave me breathless almost two decades later.  His raw masterpieces appeal to audience members all along the ideological spectrum. I have known die hard Republicans who followed his work even if they did not agree with his ideas.

His latest creation explores "the shifting identity of Ronald Reagan from the perspectives of the "special interest groups" that his rhetoric and policies consistently admonished," according to his facebook invite.  Please go see it and let me know what you think. Oh, and check back on Friday to read my email interview with Pete.
 

My Fellow Americans
Thursday & Friday performances: October 8, 9, 15, & 16 at 7:30pm 
Hamlin Park Studio Theater
3035 N. Hoyne, Chicago, IL 60618 (map)

$15 general admission/$10 student or low income
Buy Tickets online directly at brownpapertickets.com

Choreography: Peter Carpenter
Performers: Peter Carpenter, Lisa Gonzales, Suzy Grant, Atalee Judy and Donnell Williams.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails