3/31/10

AWAKE: Moving Dance Forward Canceled

by karen Krolak

I am truly saddened to tell you that the Multicultural Arts Center has decided to cancel AWAKE: Moving Dance Forward based on advanced ticket sales and other funding issues. As the Artistic Director for AWAKE, I have spent nine months researching the questions provoked by the artistic legacies of Pina Bausch, Michael Jackson, and Merce Cunningham. Whether I have been entertained by 8 year old boys imitating the percussive isolations in Beat It or catching snippets of one of Pina's pieces on Moroccan television, I am continually impressed by how these idiosyncratic visionaries have permeated global culture. So, while we will not be gathering together on April 10th to celebrate, I hope that you will find a few minutes that day to honor their ongoing reverberations in some way.

I am deeply grateful to all the artists involved with AWAKE, including David Parker and the Bang Group, Max Pollak, Julia Rhoads, Eric Cruz, David Vaughan, Adrienne Hawkins, the Goethe-Institut Boston, and Monkeyhouse's dancers. Thanks also to Norton Owen at Jacob's Pillow, who shared some fabulous archival footage of both Pina Bausch and Merce Cunningham with me last summer and to Debra Cash for building buzz for AWAKE in her spring dance preview for the Boston Phoenix.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails