3/11/10

Othello Opens This Weekend!


by karen Krolak

Back when I interviewed Ashley Wheater about Lar Lubovich's Othello, I announced that I would be an Assistant Director on a production this spring. Well, after almost a year of design meetings and a month of rehearsals, Actors' Shakespeare Project's Othello opens on March 13th. Please do not wait if you want tickets as they are selling rapidly.

Though my friend Fred has been egging me to try it for over a decade, this is my first foray into directing a theater piece. While there are many similarities to choreographing, directing a beloved piece of Shakespeare is a such a weird beast. Actors enter the process with really specific ideas about their role, everyone has to agree on which folio version to use knowing that reviewers will compare each moment to previous incarnations of the play, and they have a massive budget by comparison to any dance piece that I have ever worked on.

If you haven't had enough of my blathering on (and keep in mind there are oodles more posts on Monkeyhouse's projects going up in the next few days), I have written for their blog too. On Sunday, March 14, I will also be leading the post show discussion. I would love to hear what people think about the production so feel free to send comments here. Thanks again to everyone who has encouraged me on this endeavour.

Othello

By William Shakespeare
Directed by Judy Braha**
March 10th - April 4th
Villa Victoria Center for the Arts
85 West Newton Street, Boston
Directions to the Venue

Tix by phone: 866-811-4111

Jason Bowen*
Ken Cheeseman*
Brooke Hardman*
Olivia Hendrick
Cloteal Horne
Matt Ketai
Paula Langton*
Sydney Lemmon
Doug Lockwood*
Denise Marie
Bobbie Steinbach*
Michael Forden Walker*

*member of Actors’ Equity Association, the union of professional Actors and Stage Managers in the United States
**Members of the Society of Stage Directors and Choreographers

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails