1/19/11

The Inside Scoop -- Subluxation -- Part 4

A LITTLE BIT OF NEW MUSIC
by Nicole Harris

For the record, I am a lucky woman.  I have a number of friends who are fabulous musicians (which is pretty fabulous) but even better than that, I have a number of friends who are fabulous musicians and supporters of dance.

When I first choreographed Subluxation in 2006 there were two pieces of music, Devil's Airship by Pinataland and my first ever "commission", Summertime by Bill Swan.  When I started to re-invent Subluxation for the Green Street Studios Emerging Artists Program this winter it needed a little bit of a musical overhaul as well.  The original solo (which you will be able to see at Monkeyhouse's Against the Odds at Springstep this Spring!) will still use those two pieces of music but this new version includes two new pieces in addition to Pinataland's Devil's Airship.

In 2008 I started building a duet called Fidelius (read a bit about that here!) and commissioned my friend David Wechsler of Tyranny of Dave (also from Pinataland!) to record Cole Porter's Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love).  After many recreations that track fell to the wayside (but it was replaced by another David Wechsler song!) where it sat lonely and neglected until, you guessed it, I started using it in rehearsals this fall.

The final piece of music was just added today, thanks to my ever generous friend Nicholas Zampiello.  I am very excited to announce that we will be using the Campaign for Real-Time's Shout as our final track!  (I have tried to make a few other pieces using this track so I'm so excited that it has finally found a home!)

psst...  There just might be another track by Mr. Zampiello in a new piece I am working on too!  2011 is going to be a great year for new choreography!

 ** This post was re-posted from http://GSSEmergingArtists.blogspot.com **

2 comments:

Paul said...

Is there someplace online where I can watch this?

Monkeyhouse said...

Paul-- Unfortunately, the piece isn't online. Sorry! -Nicole @ Monkeyhouse

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails