1/5/11

The Inside Scoop -- Subluxation -- Part 1

by Nicole Harris

In 2006 I premiered a solo called Subluxation at the Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center as part of Monkeyhouse's Are You Lucky?.  The piece, named after a medical term meaning "the state of being almost dislocated" showed the struggle between fixing what you have or starting over new and asks the question 'what are you willing to sacrifice to make things better?'

This past year I set out to re-set the original solo on someone new and used a Monkeyhouse Musing to play with Nikki Sao Pedro, Bari Rosenberg and Lisa DeBassio (Thank you ladies!!) on a series of basic improv structures from the start of the piece.  Watching all three of their waiting improvs led me to realize that Subluxation could make an interesting group piece.  When I learned about the Green Street Studios Emerging Artist Program I applied with the goal of figuring out what a group Subluxation could be.


Instead of imposing my own story, each of my performers (Caitlin Meehan, Courtney Wagner and Bari Rosenberg) came up with situations in their life in which they felt "slightly dislocated" and the structure pulled itself together almost overnight.  As each of their tales unfold I'll be keeping you updated with photos, interviews and more!  I know you are eager to find out about the lovely ladies I've been working with so keep an eye out for interviews with them coming soon!

** This post was re-posted from http://GSSEmergingArtists.blogspot.com **

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails