6/7/11

True East Residency

by karen Krolak

From the window at the foot of this bed, I can see lights from  houses in Canada. As I mentioned earlier, I am in Eastport Maine collaborating with Ralph Farris, one of the co-founders of Ethel, an amazing post-classical string quartet. Remind me sometime to share the story of how Ralph and I went from being mortal enemies in elementary school to creative partners.

Since I need to scramble out of the house early tomorrow to teach a 4th grade and a 7th grade class at the Beatrice Rafferty Elementary School on Passamaquoddy (Ralph has just reminded me that Passamaquoddy means "People of the Dawn" ) tribal lands, I will keep this post brief.

Scattered about this entry, you can see some my impressions from my first few days in Eastport. Our days have been really packed with activity as we prepare for

• A Play-Date/Workshop for Teachers and Performers (Saturday June 11, 9-Noon)

The Eastport Strings Two Concerts in One-6pm Traditional & 7:30pm Rock (also June 11)
AND
• Magnet to the Breakwater -- a family-friendly mobile musical celebration of city and sea -- where we invite the WHOLE EASTPORT COMMUNITY to a parade down through the Eastport waterfront, flowing in and out of town like a wave, and guided by beacons of diverse performers.  Join us for movement and music!!! Magnet to the Breakwater kicks off  with a Fun Family Workshop on June 12, from 1-5pm at the Eastport Arts Center. More Play-Dates will take place on June 13, June 14, and the BIG EVENT takes place on June 15.

Stay tuned for more details! 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails