8/23/11

Cultivate Memories (part 1)

 by karen Krolak

For several years now, I have been curious about how we remember choreography, the systems people use to record or capture movements. Is it more important to document the exact shape of the steps or should we focus in on the emotional energy of the experience? What can pictures tell us that words would fail to illuminate and vice verse? Do we understand something better with multiple viewings or do we simply start to over analyze it?

As Selene Colburn and Paul Benney guided us along a Bethlehem Walking Tour at Cultivate 2011, these questions began to skirt around the edges of my attention. Although I normally would not think to take pictures during a performance,  Arthur Fink's camera emboldened me and that diorama by the fountain begged to be photographed. Over the next few days, I will share some of moments/textures/movements that caught my interest on this walk. At the same time, I would love to hear other people's thoughts on recording choreography. Please feel free to share any comments, suggestions or questions of your own.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails