8/21/10

2 Dover Sherborn Grads presenting work at the Massachusetts Dance Fesitval


by karen Krolak

I love when little coincidences pop up. For example, when I entered the dressing room at the Massachusetts Dance Festival after Monkeyhouse's tech rehearsal this morning, I was amused to see three women pulling on striped tights and black tutus. If they had thrown a neon orange wig on, they would have been identical to Monkeyhouse's most enduring character.

The odd part was, I didn't know any of them. My quizzical expression opened up a conversation and I discovered that they were members of Bosoma who were getting ready to present a piece by Katherine Hooper.

Just then Katherine poked her head in. I took the chance to introduce myself and ask if she would be willing to be interviewed for Connect 2 Choreography. I was startled when she responded, "I would love to. I have been wanting to meet you for a long time. Didn't you grow up in Sherborn?" "No, I lived in Dover, though. Why?" I replied. Apparently, we went to Dover Sherborn together. She was a freshman when I was a senior. Our entire high school had less than 600 kids when I graduated. Who would have guessed that a such a small school without an dance program would produce two choreographers?

Does anyone else have "It's a Small World" playing endlessly in their head?

So, if you haven't done so already, get your ticket for tonight's performance. You never know who you might bump into there. Did you see June Wulff festival preview in the G section of the Globe this morning?

Oh, and lastly, be on the lookout for a more in depth post about Bosoma and Katherine's choreographic process later this week.

Massachusetts Dance Festival, Aug. 22 at 8 p.m.
(Aug. 28 and 29 at UMass-Amherst).
$25, $20 students and seniors.
Boston Ballet, 19 Clarendon St., Boston.
For information: 508-429-7577.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails