I am so fortunate to have some amazing people as friends. For example, in the summer of 2003, Nicole Harris and Amelia O'Dowd floored me with an incredibly thoughtful gift. They scrimped and saved to send me to a magnificent dance improvisation workshop in Bennington, Vermont. I am not sure that I ever thanked them enough now that I think back on it.
One of the first people that I met that week was Katherine Ferrier, who writes, teaches, quilts, and choreographs. I was delighted when we crossed paths again at Simone Forti's Logomotion workshop in Orvieto, Italy in 2008. She is such a gentle magnet who always attracts a fascinating collection of artists. For instance, even though she has only lived in New Hampshire for a year, she has already stitched together a mini-festival of dance. If you are in the area or within a few hours' drive, I highly recommend that you join her.
Dancers, educators, dance students and dance lovers of all ages are invited to
a day of learning, sharing and showcasing
Saturday, August 14, 2010
White Mountain School
Cultivate is a partnership of the Arts Alliance's Extending the Dance Map initiative,
funded in part by Dana Foundation and the New Hampshire State Council on the Arts.
Visit the Arts Alliance website for additional details, to preregister for the workshops and to reserve tickets for the evening performance. Evening tickets are $10 per person, $20 per family. The day begins with a series of workshops (for everyone from young dance students to school-based teachers to professional dancers) and culminates with an evening performance of works by participating artists. After the performance audience members are encouraged to linger and mingle over conversation and food at Social 2055, a new restaurant on Bethlehem's Main Street.
Participating artists include:
- Tiffany Rhynard (Middlebury, VT), Guest Artist at
- Pamela Vail (Lancaster, PA), Assistant Professor at Franklin and Marshall College
- Lisa Gonzales (Chicago, IL), Assistant Professor at Columbia College, Chicago
- Katherine Ferrier (Littleton, NH), Independent artist/educator
- Suzy Grant (Chicago, IL), Dance graduate of and independent artist/producer
- Sally Bomer (Peterborough, NH), Lecturer at Franklin Pierce College
- Emily Anderson (North Conway, NH), Bennington College Dance student and
- Vicki Brown (Tuscon, AZ), Composer, performer, musician with Movement Salon, AZ
- Emily Beattie and Eric Gunther (Boston, MA)